Hi Kevin,

Below are several notes I've saved for doing what you're wanting:
CTRL Panel and Windows 7

The control panel is usually the first place you go to for changing any
major setting on your computer. Unfortunately, the default view for the
control
Panel in Windows 7 is Category view and there is no option to permanently
switch back to a “classic view” as in other versions of Windows.
For this blog, we will explain how to configure the CTRL panel so you will
be able to navigate via letter navigation, instead of tabbing.

The first thing we need to do is make our way to the CTRL panel and we can
do this by activating the start menu and in the search type, "Control Panel"
without the quotes. Press enter on the control panel option.
Once you have the CTRL panel open, press CTRL E to place yourself in the
search field and then tab until you hear category button and press space
bar.

A context menu will appear and if you use your up and down arrows, you will
hear the different options available. For example, small icons, large icons
and category. Category should be checked by default, so let’s use our up
arrow key until we hear large icons and press enter.
Now, if you use letter navigation, you will be able to find items much
quicker than tabbing. Go ahead, test it out, how about you press the letter
"A"
until you hear action center link. This is more convenient than tabbing
isn't it?
If you would like to revert back to your previous method for navigation,
press CTRL E to place yourself back in the search field, find the category
button
and activate it and select category and press enter.

From:
David
Hello there;

Try the following;

1, navigate to the control panel.

2, now shift+tab and enter on cadigory.

Here you can choose,
Small icons,  and large icons, make your choice with the arrow keys,
Once you have choice of large or small icons, press enter.

Now you should be able to letter navigate.
David
From: Ann Byrne
This is from Inthane's grab bag of windows 7 amazing things:

tentive instructions:
go into control panel, tab to appearances and personalization, and
enter on it.
now tab to task bar and start menu.   and enter on it.
now control tab to start menu tab, go to "customize", scroll down to
"control panel", and instead of
"display as a link" check "display as a menu". You will get a list of
control menu items.
Ann