It has come to my attention that spelling and grammar have been falling by the
side of the road here lately. I refer to the section of the guidelines that
state that the use of a spell checker is strongly encouraged or something like
that since they aren't in front of me and it's been a number of years since
they were written.

It is quite difficult to help a person if you can't understand their typing.
David Ferrin
A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a
simpler system that worked perfectly.