Hi Fred,
John Justice, here.
I made the transition a while ago.  Here's what I found out.

8.1 takes some getting used to.  It opens on a screen which contains all of
the apps loaded into the system.  Some, but not all of these apps are
accessible. They are arranged in columns and you can navigate up and down or
across using standard Jaws commands.
For example, the Weather app is good once you have entered your location.
The Music app is okay but it takes some getting used to.
The Mail app, in its original form, insists that you have a Microsoft
account.  I don't have one of those so I avoid that app.
There is a Desktop app but it leads you to a special desktop, not the
original one and it isn't particularly accessible.

Windows 8.1 will learn your preferences as you go along.  There is a Search
capability which is excellent.  You can either shift tab to the Search or
just start typing and the system will move quickly to the Search dialog.

Accessing the Desktop can still be achieved by using WINDOWS+M or D.
Fred, finding things like programs and features is a bit more difficult.

Here are the good things.
Windows 8.1 is much faster than Windows 7 in loading.  However, there is a
Sign-in page which appears and you have to enter your password every time.
Windows 8.1 contains biometric sign-in options but they probably won't work
on an older system like yours.
8.1 has, for me at least, very few crashes.  It's quick and crisp when
changing programs.
The WINDOWS+E  function allows you access to all of the stored files in your
PC.
Most of the Windows functions are still available but they are not as easily
accessible in Windows 8.1 when comparing it to Windows 7.
Finding All Programs for example is a challenge unless you type that phrase
into your Search window.
8.1 tends to divide the listings into sections pertaining to their general
function.

This is a general description.  I hope I have it all correct.
I have been using 8.1 for more than a year, now.
If you run into trouble, just yell.

**VERY IMPORTANT**
Narrator is absolutely fantastic in 8.1.  You can turn it on by using
WINDOWS+ENTER   and in its original configuration, you turn it off the same
way.
The voice is clear and can be used quite effectively when Jaws isn't
working.
You may need sighted assistance when loading 8.1.  I have heard people say
that they did it without help.  Quite honestly, I couldn't make it happen.
But with the assistance of a neighbor, I had it up and running in a very
short time.

If you are in the Documents window, if you delete an item, it just
disappears without requesting confirmation.
That's a relatively simple thing but it is important to a screen reading
user.

John and linda justice
Personal e-mail: john_just...@verizon.net