I've never figured out how to use the journal.  I use notes all the time.
Here are some of my comments about notes:

With Control+Shift+n, it is really easy to open a new note and jot down
notes about anything you want.

During a phone call I create a note and jot down notes from the conversation

create a note to keep a To-Do list throughout the day by adding items as I
think of them, and deleting them as they are completed.,

If someone is giving me their contact information, I put it in a note, and
then copy and paste the various pieces of information into a contact when I
have more time.

Just press Escape when you are done with the note.  It is automatically
saved in the Notes folder.

I have my notes arranged in a list with the newest note at the top of the
list.

When you do not need a note any more, navigate to the note in the list, and
press the delete key just as you do to delete an e-mail message.

The notes look like a small square sticky note.  Those with sight change the
colors of the notes to represent a category of note.

I do believe that you can assign an Outlook  category to a note just as you
can do with a message.

You can create subfolders under the Notes folder and moves notes into the
folders, or create a new note while you are in that folder.

Can you tell that I love the notes feature and I use them all of the time?

HTH,
Annette