Wow, that was really interesting and informative. Actually, other than office 2010, Thunderbird, IE11 and my magic jack device there's not much else running that I can think of at this time. Thanks again for the explanation.
On 10/30/2015 3:50 AM, valiant8086 wrote:
Hi.
Adding more ram does definitely increase performance, but after a certain point it stops making a noticeable difference. In this case the real bottleneck is the cpu. A fast processor running on 2gb of ram would run windows 7 just fine, I'd know, have done it. I've also upgraded from 1 gb to 2 gb in my own netbook, and that helped, but even going from such a small amount to double that didn't make it fast. With a netbook like that, 2gb is the perfect amount, anything more than that is a bit of a waste. Ram memory serves the purpose of holding onto data that the processor needs to deal with. A fast processor will chew through 2 gb of ram quicker and keep it from being filled up as much, but adding more ram will give the capacity to hold onto more data at once for the processor. But just because you can put more people in line doesn't necessarily mean you can take care of more people at once, after a certain point. Additionally, if you don't have enough ram, the OS will be able to figure out what data is being used the least amount, and store that in a special place on the hard disk. While that data will be accessed much more slowly from a hard disk, it is little used data and generally you won't experience serious reductions of performance just because you're forced to store running data on the disk. The OS will adapt to what capacity it has within reason, 2gb is enough for basic computing because it gives you just enough room to keep frequently used data in the ram.

That having been said though, upgrading your ram certainly doesn't hurt, but it's hardly worth paying for more ram to put in a computer like the one being discussed here, for about twice the cost of the new ram, provided the netbook can support it (mine can't), you could buy a whole new tablet computer that will run windows 10 and absolutely spank the socks off the netbook and do it with a lot better battery life too. Granted, if you want a transformer that pretends to be a laptop like I mentioned before, it's going to cost more than twice the cost of new ram, but my point still stands.

In the case of this netbook, the most logical free solution is try to clean up the software. Maybe there is a memory leak, this user is running too much software, one or more applications are conflicting, etc. Win7 can run decently well on these but they can't run win7 all that well on top of dealing with some software or other that is eating too much cpu.

If the cpu is overheating and clocking down (compressed air would probably fix this). I'd like to know if this user has specific areas where performance is more a problem than others. Is it really bad in skype but halfway acceptable most everywhere else? things like that.

Also the old atom processors can be manually clocked, you can force them to run at around 800 mhz and, while I have actually gotten windows 7 to run at 430 mhz on my asus netbook by purposefully underclocking it, that doesn't yield itself to being a very good performer, rofl. There is a chance this user is using the power saver power plan, or even perhaps the balanced plan would be causing issues. Maybe putting the power plan to high performance would help.

Cheers, Aaron Spears, general Partner - Valiant Galaxy Associates Developing "very good audiogames" for the blind community http://valiantGalaxy.com Sent with Thunderbird 38.2.0 portable
On 10/29/2015 9:15 AM, Gerald Levy wrote:

Not necessarily. I am running Windows 7 on a Dell Optiflex desktop that has only 2gb of RAM, and it works just fine, even though the local hard drive has only 80gb total memory capacity. I don't think adding another 2gb of RAM would make an appreciable improvement in performance.

Gerald

-----Original Message----- From: John M.
Sent: Thursday, October 29, 2015 8:53 AM
To: jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com
Subject: Re: [JAWS-Users] downgrading back to xp

Running Win 7 with only two GB of Ram is going to be a frustrating
experience. Can you add an additional two GB of ram to your computer? It
will make a huge difference in the performance of Win 7.

John

----- Original Message ----- From: "leonard morris" <lmorris1...@gmail.com>
I have a HP netbook with 2 gigs of ram. I upgraded my netbook from XP to windows seven a while back. I'm using Jaws v15 and I noticed the netbook is incredibly sluggish. I am wondering if I roll it back to XP would that speed up the netbook computer?

--
"Every country has an idenity, history, customs, and culture. It's a unique landscape in determining how its people live, work and play."