Hi Joanne,
although you can't disable the ribbons, there are at least a couple of ways of
changing the view setting which don't involve using the ribbon.
The first is to use shortcuts. Press ctrl+alt+5 for a list view, and press
ctrl+alt+6 for a details view. (Note these shortcuts were ctrl+shift+number in
windows 8 and 8.1).
The second is that with no items selected in the items view (you can press
ctrl+spacebar to deselect an item if necessary), you can open a context menu,
which contains a view sub menu.

David.