Yes, this was introduced in Microsoft Windows 8 and 8.1 I think.

-----Original Message-----
From: JAWS-Users-List [mailto:jaws-users-list-boun...@jaws-users.com] On Behalf
Of Kevin
Sent: 23 December 2015 20:27
To: jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com
Subject: Re: [JAWS-Users] Windows 10 crashes; safe mode & restore?

with windows 10 you never start the computer from a  cold start.  the computer
is in hibernation mode which enables the quick start.  when quick starting the
computer some drivers don't get loaded hence the startup sound does not play.
this is why when you run jaws in 40 minute mode then shut down and the next
time you start the computer jaws announces in order to use jaws in 40 minute
mode again you must restart your computer.
there is a way to disable the windows 10 quick start but I will not include
this unless someone asks!