From: JAWS-Users-List [mailto:jaws-users-list-boun...@jaws-users.com] On
Behalf Of Jason White
Sent: Monday, February 15, 2016 9:50 PM
To: jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com
Subject: Re: [JAWS-Users] Braille Display and Keyboard Solutions

Aimee Harwood <awildh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Now that I have introduced myself, let me move on to my question.
> When I used my Mac, I controlled it primarily with a Braille display
> and only had to touch the keyboard for a few commands.  I know that it
> depends on the display sometimes how much you can control the computer
with the display.
> On the Mac, I could customize almost all of the commands to be what I
> wanted them to be.  Can this be done with JAWS?  I have a VarioUltra
> 40.  Can I change commands and assign the majority of the commands to
> the keystrokes I prefer?

Yes, you can customize the braille display commands. I haven't tried it, as
I am not currently a heavy JAWS user. However, there is a series of JAWS
help topics describing the very extensive braille support provided,
including means of customizing commands.

Freedom Scientific is a braille display vendor. Screen readers written by
braille display vendors tend to have much better braille support than the
alternatives.