From: JAWS-Users-List [mailto:jaws-users-list-boun...@jaws-users.com] On
Behalf Of Tom Behler
Sent: Saturday, March 12, 2016 11:39 PM
To: Jaws users list
Subject: [JAWS-Users] Jaws System Requirements

Hello, all.

I'm getting ready to purchase a new laptop computer, and want to be sure I
get one that is adequate for Jaws.  I currently use Jaws 16, and my SMA
covers Jaws 17.  So I will likely put Jaws 17 on the new computer.

I realize that any new laptop will have Windows 10 as its operating system,
and am prepared to begin learning to use Jaws with that new operating
system.

My question is this:

What should I be looking for in a laptop?  I found the following system
requirements on the Freedom Scientific web site, but wonder whether those
are absolute minimum requirements:

table with 2 columns and 7 rows

Description

Specification

JAWS Home Use Edition and JAWS Professional

WindowsR 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows ServerR 2012,
and Windows Server 2008

Processor speed

Minimum 1.5 GHz processor

Memory (RAM)

4 GB recommended (64-bit)

2 GB recommended (32-bit)

Required hard disk space

20 MB to 690 MB required per voice for installing Vocalizer Expressive,
Vocalizer Direct, or RealSpeak Solo Direct voices (file sizes will vary
depending on the voice installed)

Video

A display adapter capable of at least 800 x 600 screen resolution with
16-bit color (1024 x 768 screen resolution with 32-bit color recommended)

Sound

Windows compatible sound card (for speech)

table end

Any specific recommendations would be appreciated.

Are there certain brands of laptops I should stay away from?  Right now, I'm
thinking of either an HP or a Dell.

Dr.  Tom Behler from Michigan