Hi Zoe,
I'm reposting my previous reply - maybe you missed it.

If the only window or tab which Internet Explorer has open is the Downloads
window, then if you move to that button on the taskbar and press Shift + Enter,
a new instance of internet explorer opens.

For more info about the taskbar buttons on Windows 10, see the taskbar buttons
section of this guide:
http://vip.chowo.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/jaws/Taskbar-10-Guide.html

David.