GW Micro, as they then were, made Window-Eyes available to Microsoft Office
users under an arrangement with Microsoft. I assume (but I don't have evidence
to back it up) that the agreement probably involved a significant investment
from Microsoft.

Think of it this way: what you're speculating about won't happen without a
large financial investment in VFO from Microsoft or elsewhere, sufficient not
only to fund JAWS development and technical support, but also enough to be
profitable. In the context of commercial products, much depends on the
financial numbers.