Alt I for insert and then R for row. Be sure your cursor is placed on the row below where you want your new row to be. In Excel 2010, Alt I still works with a note to continue typing the key sequence of a keystroke for Excel 2003. Be undaunted..Alt I, then R should get you a new row. The cursor can be any place on the row below your new one.

To insert a column, type Alt I and then C. Be sure your cursor is to the right of where you want your new column to be.

You can probably insert rows and columns using the ribbon menus, too, but I find the quick keystrokes easier, as I use them frequently.