I just discovered this issue today while reading a document sent by a
colleague.

Please note that text columns are not tables. Table navigation commands
(including smart navigation) do not work with text columns.

I searched the Web and found that Alt+Down-Arrow and Alt+Up-Arrow are supposed
to move to the next/previous text column, respectively. Even if I used the
JAWS pass-through key (Insert+3) to ensure that JAWS did not interpret these
keystrokes as sentence navigation commands, they didn't work in Microsoft Word
2016 for me.

I also found mention of Alt+Page-Up and Alt+Page-Down, which didn't help
either.

Is there a better solution than using "route JAWS to PC" to move to a
neighboring column after finding the text with the JAWS cursor?