Most of the time I just started a download, so I know what the notification bar is about, but sometimes, when the download is done, I get a different set of buttons that tell me that some issue has come up with the download, and getting that message read in a timely manner can be a real chore.

In short, I am sometimes reminded of how much I wish Microsoft had left the dialogs in Internet Explorer, what ever happened to the notion that if it isn't broken, don't fix it?

Cheers!

On 1/5/2017 6:09 PM, Adrian Spratt wrote:
As you're finding out, what we call the information bar acts inconsistently,
and I have sometimes found that the arrow keys work instead of tabs. But for
the most part, it works fine with tabs. Would you care to have other people on
the list look at the webpage that's giving you a problem?

-----Original Message-----
From: JAWS-Users-List [mailto:jaws-users-list-boun...@jaws-users.com] On Behalf
Of Gene Warner
Sent: Thursday, January 05, 2017 5:30 PM
To: jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com
Subject: Re: [JAWS-Users] Reading the IE notification bar

Insert + B does get the notification bar read, but first JAWS starts reading
the contents of the Internet Explorer window but only reads the window's title
before reading the notification bar, I will need to try it with more web sites
to see if that is by design or specific to that web site.

The left and right arrows don't seem to do anything, to navigate the buttons in
the notification bar you have to use tab.

I did find a possible way to do it though, but like insert +B, it needs more
testing to see if it works for most, if not all web sites. Press Alt + N to
give the notification bar the focus, then switch to the touch cursor, then
right arrow once to hear the notification message, then switch back to the
virtual PC cursor to continue navigating the buttons.

I've sent Freedom Scientific a suggestion that JAWS should read the
notification message after Alt + N is pressed and before the buttons are
presented.

Cheers!