James Strachan writes:

 > I've added support to the DOM level 2 navigator to load the
 > document using JAXP which works fine. Whichever JAXP compliant DOM
 > parser that is on the classpath will be used to create new DOM
 > documents (e.g. crimson or xerces).

That should be fine, at least for now.  I haven't been following the
progress on DOM3, but I remember that it was supposed to include its
own factory interface; when that comes out, perhaps we can add support
for it instead of or as well as JAXP.

If no DOM parser is found, do you throw an exception?

 > Would this extra JAXP dependency cause you any problems? If having
 > JAXP code in the DOM navigator causes dependency problems (which
 > considering JAXP is a standard part of JDK1.4, these dependency
 > issues will go away soon) then the implementation of the
 > getDocument() method could be moved to another class?

If Sun's license allows, we might want to add a JAXP JAR to the lib
directory.

By the way, did anyone check to see if it's OK to bundle the EXML JAR,
since it's not Open Source?

All the best,

David

--