On Mon, 27 Aug 2001, Laurent Bihanic wrote:

> As I needed an XPath-like feature with JDOM document, I downloaded and tried
> Jaxen.
> Once I understood where to start (in my case org.jaxen.jdom.XPath but this is
> not straitforward from the doc ;-)), everything went smoothly. Thanks a lot!

I'll try to clarify that some more,now.  Probably in an overview.html
in the JavaDocs.

> - JaXPath's constructor should not through a SAXPathException but should
> convert it into a JaxenException. Throwing this exception in the constructor
> forces all sub-classes to declare this same exception in their constructor.
> That's a pity because it's the sole place in Jaxen where SAXPath is visible.

Yah, that's been rubbing me wrong too.  Will remedy it.

> - When looking for a node named 'x', Jaxen forces to use the expression "//x"
> rather than "x" as allowed with XSLT.  I'm not very knowledgeable with the
> XPath standards but supporting the latter form would make things easier for
> the developpers.

Hmm, that's a bug, if true.

XPath requires either an absolute path (starting with '/') or a path relative
to the original context node.  If your original context is your Document,
then the path of '//x' *will* match any <x> in the document.  A path of
'x' will only match the root node if it's named 'x'.  It doesn't do a full
search of the document.  That's just how the spec is.

        -bob