On Thu, 30 Aug 2001, Eddie wrote:

> Hi,
>
> is the following a valid xpath
>
> $u/user/name
>
> I presume it is valid as long as $u resolves to a node or a list of
> nodes. The reason I ask is that XQuery uses this type of xpath all the
> time in the Return clause.
> Currently JAXEN falls over when presented with such a path.

Yah, it should be valid.  Completely un-tested at this point
though.  Hopefully today I'll get a chance to take a look at
it.

> Would it be possible to add the methods
>     public String getPrefix();
>     public String getVariableName();
> to the interface org.jaxen.expr.VariableReferenceExpr as otherwise I
> can't access the prefix and local names of the variable

Absolutely.

btw, what's your background with XQL/XPath and such?
If you're doing heavy XQL hacking, and need quick changes
to bring Jaxen into line with what you're doing, making
you a committer might be wise.

        -bob
        (btw, could we try to keep email to jaxen-interest
        purely as plaintext, and avoid the HTML?)