On Sun, 23 Sep 2001, Erwin Bolwidt wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Sep 2001, James Strachan wrote:
>
> > Just a thought and I've seen murmurings around the web along similar lines,
> > but how about having an extension function which is capable of defining a
> > namespace prefix? Something like
> >
> > define-namespace('x', 'someURI')/x:foo/x:bar
> Sounds okay, with a bit of semantics. What is the return value of
> define-namespace?
>
> Supposing it is some value that means 'true' in a boolean context, what
> would this mean?

This really rubs me the wrong way.  I simply don't like the declarative
stuff inside of the xpath.

Can someone send me a use-case?

If you're using XSLT type of thing, it provides a set-the-prefix
method by itself.

If you're using it within Java, is it mostly to avoid having to
create and set a NamespaceContext?

Howsabout if we make it more transparent, and have a
SimpleNamespaceContext set up automagically.

        XPath xpath = new XPath("x:foo/x:bar");

        xpath.addNamespaceTranslation( "x", "http://x.org/"; );

        List results = xpath.selectNodes( myContext );

Would something like that be bothersome?  Or would the problem?

        -bob