Hmmm...

What happens if you feed the results of the 1st expression as the
context of another XPath("item/id") ?

I'm wondering if we aren't treating that item/id steps as an
absolute location-path.  We might have a boundary condition on a
step-with-predicate followed by a step, treating the suffix step as an
absolute step.

Anyone on the list have more time than me to track this down?

        -bob