> that are being used in the source code:
> UnsupportedOperationException
> NoSuchElementException

Those are regarding Jaxen's many implementation of the java.util.Iterator
interface.  Is that provided in the collections-api?

Chances are, just more substitutions in the build.xml to mutate those
imports also.

> Comparable
>
> that cause the compilation to fail. I imagine Comparable is the familiar
> java.util.Comparable interface that Java 2 provides.

Ayup.  I'm not ever sure when/where we're using Comparable.  Can ya
give me a hint?  It may be gratuitous.  (Jaxen typically only does
identity comparisons, not semantic-equivalence comparisons).

> Could somebody possibly have a look at those and tell me if there might be a
> workaround?

Tweak out the build.xml to find the exceptions thrown by methods
on the java.util.Iterator interface.

> I am desparate to get Jaxen to work (I am using JDOM with no problems with
> 1.1.8 and I want to do the same for the XPath part of my app wityh Jaxen).

I'll gladly accept any patches you have for us to support 1.1.8 jdk.

        -bob