On 12/11/01 8:51 AM, "bob mcwhirter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> I'm an acquaintance of a few here in this community (James, Bob, ?) and I am
>> a new convert to dom4j, hence jaxen.
>
> Welcome Geir!  How's Velocity-land?

Good, thanks.  Some of the periodic gnashing of teeth about whitespace
handling, but that's par for the course.  Everyone wants their own...

>> While this is clearly a case of me knowing I am biting off way more than I
>> can chew, since I found the bug, and I am in need of a fix, and I really am
>> impressed with Jaxen via dom4j, I am going to look at it...
>>
>> <waiting for the guffaws to stop, wiping coffee off screens, drying tears,
>> etc :) >
>
> No laughing from me.

I'm still giggling.  This is complicated stuff...

>> Could someone give me a 2 second pointer where to look?  I have been
>> wandering about in the source.  I think I am starting to get it, but its
>> quite involved...  I have a testcase that shows the problem (2 seconds...)
>> and now looking where to start (2 hours...)
>>
>> Tia, and thanks for such a wonderful project.
>
> There's org.jaxen.BaseXPath which gets extended for each object-model,
> into org.jaxen.$OM$.XPath, which is the top-level object you use,
> obviously.  That'd be a place to do after-the-fact re-ordering.
>
> If you want on-the-fly correct order, then the org.jaxen.expr.* package
> is what you want.

I would think, naively, that keeping order on the fly would be so you don't
have to sort later... Not sure how the expression evaluation works though,
how you 'visit' nodes...

Any gut feeling of what's the easiest path?

> DefaultLocationPath.java is what does the walking of the Steps and
> applies the predicates, etc.

Thx.

> Coordinate edits to the expr.* package on the list, becuase I know
> someone else is in there right now trying to fix a predicate bug, too.

Thx.  Don't assume I'll get anywhere with this in a reasonable amount of
time...  I'm just a dilettante...

Geir

--
Geir Magnusson Jr.                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
System and Software Consulting