Hi Bob,

Thanks for your quick response.

bob mcwhirter wrote:

> > If i can get hold of an XPath object and get the root expression, then how can i
> > walk the expression?
>
> There's a difference between evaluating the expression, which means
> applying your xpath to a document, and 'walking the expression', which
> means walking the object-tree of internal implementation objects that get
> built when the string "/melty/cheese/is/great" gets parsed by the engine.
> Consider it a rought 'compilation' structure for the expression itself.
>
> Which do you really want to do?
>
>         -bob

I really want to walk the object-tree internal implementation objects that get built
when the xpath string gets parsed by the engine. I just want to have a sense of what
is going on. Well, i have some more questions for you.
Currently, i'm working on a project that selects nodes on an encoded XML file using
XPath to query. However, i just want to implement only a small subset of XPath. I'm
thinking of two strategies at the moment.
1. I use the full Jaxen and only implement small and necessary methods in the
DocumentNavigator interface (am i right here?)
2. OR implement a small subset of XPath based on Jaxen and integrate tightly with
methods to traverse axes on an encoded XML stream.
What do you think of these two strategies?
Thanks,
Son

--
Canon Information Systems Research Australia Pty Ltd (CISRA),
Phone: +61-2-9805-2699