From: bob mcwhirter [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, March 19, 2002 10:59 AM
To: Tom Preston
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [Jaxen] using [@name] inside of JAXEN

On Tue, 19 Mar 2002, Tom Preston wrote:

> While dynamically trying to retrieve an Attribute value using Jaxen...I
find
> that I have a problem.  I have to "KNOW" within my program that I have
> searched for an Attribute as opposed to an Element.  This is because the
> XPath selectNodes returns a list of Elements (using JDOM) that contain the
> attributes instead of a list of Attributes.

You can also get back a list of Attributes, if you use the right path.

> I'm fine with it returning a list of Elements and think that this may
often
> be helpful since you know that you are free to cast the List elements into
> JDOM Element instances.  The problem that I have is that I have to know
that
> my "dynamic" xpath expression was ACTUALLY asking for Attributes of a
> certain name...then I have to go thru the Elements returned and pick out
the
> values of the named attributes....this takes away from the dynamic nature
of
> the program (or causes me to have to know things that I wish JAXEN would
> know for me).

Or, rewrite your path...

>             XPath xpath = new XPath( "/TRIPS/TRIP/VACATION_ID[@name]");

Not certain exactly what you're looking to get, but this might do it:

        /TRIPS/TRIP/VACATION_ID/@name

That'll return all name Attributes (actual org.jdom.Attribute objects)
for your <VACATION_ID> elements.  To get the Element itself, I think
Attribute now has a getParent() call that returns the Element to which
it is attached.

        -bob