FYI:

I'm unfortunately getting the same error using 1.0 FCS.  My solution was
to simply add the saxpath jar to my classpath.

My code is below:

import org.jaxen.*;
import org.jaxen.dom.*;

DocumentNavigator docnav = new DocumentNavigator();
XPath xpath = docnav.parseXPath( "/bbtvdata/programs/*" );

and the error looks like this:
An exception has occurred in the compiler (1.3.1_03). Please file a bug
at the Java Developer Connection
(http://java.sun.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi).  Include your program and
the following diagnostic in your report.  Thank you.
com.sun.tools.javac.v8.code.Symbol$CompletionFailure: file
org\saxpath\SAXPathException.class not found
        at
com.sun.tools.javac.v8.code.ClassReader.fillIn(ClassReader.java:997)
        at
com.sun.tools.javac.v8.code.ClassReader.complete(ClassReader.java:952)
        at com.sun.tools.javac.v8.code.Symbol.complete(Symbol.java:366)
        at
com.sun.tools.javac.v8.code.Type$ClassType.supertype(Type.java:812)
        at
com.sun.tools.javac.v8.code.Symbol$ClassSymbol.isSubClass(Symbol.java:62
2)
        at com.sun.tools.javac.v8.comp.Check.isUnchecked(Check.java:541)
        at com.sun.tools.javac.v8.comp.Flow.markThrown(Flow.java:255)
        at com.sun.tools.javac.v8.comp.Flow._case(Flow.java:748)
        at com.sun.tools.javac.v8.tree.Tree$Apply.visit(Tree.java:785)
        at com.sun.tools.javac.v8.comp.Flow.analyze(Flow.java:321)
        at com.sun.tools.javac.v8.comp.Flow.analyzeExpr(Flow.java:339)
        at com.sun.tools.javac.v8.comp.Flow._case(Flow.java:507)
        at com.sun.tools.javac.v8.tree.Tree$VarDef.visit(Tree.java:470)
        at com.sun.tools.javac.v8.comp.Flow.analyze(Flow.java:321)
        at com.sun.tools.javac.v8.comp.Flow.analyzeStat(Flow.java:394)
        at com.sun.tools.javac.v8.comp.Flow.analyzeStats(Flow.java:413)
        at com.sun.tools.javac.v8.comp.Flow._case(Flow.java:520)
        at com.sun.tools.javac.v8.tree.Tree$Block.visit(Tree.java:492)
        at com.sun.tools.javac.v8.comp.Flow.analyze(Flow.java:321)
        at com.sun.tools.javac.v8.comp.Flow.analyzeStat(Flow.java:394)
        at com.sun.tools.javac.v8.comp.Flow._case(Flow.java:488)
        at
com.sun.tools.javac.v8.tree.Tree$MethodDef.visit(Tree.java:441)
        at com.sun.tools.javac.v8.comp.Flow.analyze(Flow.java:321)
        at com.sun.tools.javac.v8.comp.Flow.analyzeDef(Flow.java:379)
        at com.sun.tools.javac.v8.comp.Flow._case(Flow.java:456)
        at
com.sun.tools.javac.v8.tree.Tree$ClassDef.visit(Tree.java:402)
        at com.sun.tools.javac.v8.comp.Flow.analyze(Flow.java:321)
        at com.sun.tools.javac.v8.comp.Flow.analyzeDef(Flow.java:379)
        at
com.sun.tools.javac.v8.JavaCompiler.compile(JavaCompiler.java:380)
        at com.sun.tools.javac.v8.Main.compile(Main.java:247)
        at com.sun.tools.javac.Main.main(Main.java:16)
Errors compiling Util [Locally Modified; 1.7].