Let's go with the spec on this one:

"A VariableReference evaluates to the value to which the variable name is bound in the
set of variable bindings in the context. It is an error if the variable name is not
bound to any value in the set of variable bindings in the expression context."
(XPath 1.0, section 3.1)

-- Steen

>>> "James Strachan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 12/03/02 10:42 AM >>>
I guess it depends on the use case of whether variables having no value is
valid or not.

I've a use case where having variables undefined is valid, so I've gone
ahead and implemented my own VariableContext for which an empty Document is
returned if there is no value available. I guess thanks to the interface,
Jaxen users can have behaviour either way.

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/