Why is it not immediate ?
[ Note : ***, below, is the 'fall back' mechanism for detecting
available Print Jobs. Details of the 'primary mechanism' are provided
further into this post ]

*** In order for the 'jspprint' to 'know' that there are print jobs
waiting to be printed, 'jsprint' scans the print queue looking for new
Print jobs, on its associated Print Queue, that are 'Ready' to be
printed

If the customer has 300 plus Print Queues, with 300 plus associated
'jspprint' processes, then the system would be spending all of it's
time 'scanning the Form Queues' ( if 'jspprint' did NOT have a 'wait
period' ( of 30 seconds by default ))

Hence the ( default ) period of a 30 second interval between each
'scan' for each 'jspprint' process

The 'Primary mechanism', to notify the 'jspprint' process(es) that
there is a new Print Job ready to be despooled ( Unix only )

When 'jlp' has finished creating a Print Job, the 'jlp' process sends
a ( Unix ) signal to the relevant 'jspprint' process, to 'wake' the
'jspprint' process ( ie stop waiting for the full 30 seconds and scan
the Print Queue now )

However, if your 'jspprint' processes are started as 'root' user
( say ), and the 'jlp' processes, started by the 'PRINT' statement in
the users Basic program, are running as a 'normal' user, then the
( Unix ) signal will not be received by the 'jspprint' process started
by 'root'( and the 'jspprint' process will wait for the full 30
seconds before svcanning the Print Queue for available Print jobs )

Solution, start the 'jspprint' process(es) as the 'normal' user rather
than 'root'

Note : if the 'Print Queue Device' is 'LPTR' ( Unix ) /
'NT' ( Windows ) ( ie NOT 'PROG' or some other device type ), the
'print job' goes directly to the Unix / Windows printer, bypassing the
jBASE Form Queue ( and related 'jspprint' process ) on jBASE 4.1.6 and
above

'What is baffling is that jlp ...'

Was 'jspprint' already running, for this Print Queue prior to issuing
the 'jlp' command ?
Or was 'jspprint' started, as the same 'user', by the 'jlp' command
( in the event that 'jspprint' is not already running ) ?
What was the Device Type of the associated Form Queue used by the
particular 'jlp' command ?

'after some time the spooler sleep slips back ...'

Are the 'jspprint' processes being restarted, manually, 'after some
time' ?
Is the 'JBC_DESPOOLSLEEP' environment variable set for the user
'restarting' the 'jspprint' process ?
( remember the 'jspprint' process will be started ( automatically )
when the 'jlp' process detects that 'jspprint' is not already running
for its associated Form Queue )