Setting the environment variable JBC_ONLINECATALOG=1 should allow you to
catalog subroutines on-the fly but this is only effective for your session;
other users will have to log out and back in to pick up any changes, and
this is as it should be.

If you are interested in the 'deep dive', it works by renaming a dll that
is already open to Libx_TMP_y.dll (y is incremented from 0 up to 9 until it
finds one that is not in use, it will fail with a share violation as before
after this point). These temporary dlls are not automatically removed by
the system, however the next time a particular dll is rebuilt (i.e. none of
the TMP dlls are in use), the CATALOG command will remove any of its
temporary dlls (of the form Libx_TMP_x.dll) that are not write protected.

Dan