In these sorts of scenarios where you need to use a SELECT statement with
complex requirements for dictionary items and especially when you have
multi-valued and/or sub-valued data in the file(s), I usually create a new
dictionary item in the file that is used for the SELECT statement as an
I-correlative dictionary item that uses the SUBR function to call a jBASE
subroutine. That way, you can just pass in the Item ID of the file from the
SELECT statement and have the subroutine execute all the business logic of
opening and reading the other files and then return a value of 1 or 0.

You cannot use these types of dictionary items in SQL but if you're
executing the SELECT statement from the command line or from a jBASE basic
program, then you can use the SUBR function in the dictionary item.

On Monday, October 15, 2018 at 10:03:20 AM UTC-7, Jose L wrote:

> Hello guys,
>
> I have three tables A, B and C. The records in table A contain a field
> ID.B and a field ID.C, that indicates the ID of an associated record in
> tables B and C. Each record in B and C also contain a field called
> NATIONALITY, which is single value for B, and multivalue for C. We want to
> retrieve all records in A such that the field nationality in B is not among
> the values of the fields nationality in C. So it would be something like
> this(pseudocode)
>
> SELECT A WITH EVAL 'TRANS("B",ID.B,NATIONALITY,"X")   IN
> TRANS("C",ID.C,NATIONALITY,"X") ' EQ 0
>
> What will be the best option to do this?
>
> Thanks
>
> JL

IMPORTANT: T24/Globus posts are no longer accepted on this forum.

To post, send email to jBASE@googlegroups.com
"jBASE" group.
to jbase+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.