Agree with Marcus that a named common is a simple and effective way to
emulate this sort of thing and to be platform neutral if desired.  Certain
items will be static and will not change within a session.  Others, such as
jBASE's ability to return complete stack information, will change naturally
via program flow.  For these, you'll still need to call to the native
function at the time you need the info.

On Wednesday, June 9, 2021 at 6:42:46 AM UTC-6 marcus.aure...@gmail.com
wrote:

> This is one of those things I think all of us has had to find some way of
> emulating in code.  In my case, I wrote an include called
> UBIQUITOUS_STUFF.  It's basically a named common, dimensioned-array.  It's
> initialized just once at login by a program called UBIQUITOUS_STUFFER, just
> because I'm like that.  And what this stuffer program does is populate the
> UBIQUITOUS array with everything that probably ought to be globally
> available, like username, home path, emulator details, terminal details,
> host type, etc.  I even made mine platform independent with a bunch of
> platform-specific subroutines to handle things like port number:  On most
> flavors, it's SYSTEM(18), but on D3 it's SYSTEM(22), and on UniData, it's
> @USERNO.
>
> I've never been a fan of equating array indices to names, but I've also
> never been a fan of things like SYSTEM(24) either, especially where flavors
> differ, so my include names every element of the array just so the code
> reads more like English.
>
> Just add your include to a program, and you have access to everything.
>
> On Wednesday, June 9, 2021 at 6:55:24 AM UTC-4 joha...@gmail.com wrote:
>

>> As I am new to jBase but not new to multi-value, one of the things I
>> cannot find is something available elsewhere in the form of @USER
>> variables. These are global and vary useful for carrying data around the
>> system for easy access no matter where you are, programs, functions,
>> I-Types, triggers etc.
>> I did some searching but since I do not know what the jBase equivalent
>> is, my search came back empty. Any pointers to a similar feature will be
>> appreciated. Thanks :)

IMPORTANT: T24/Globus posts are no longer accepted on this forum.

To post, send email to jBASE@googlegroups.com