I think more details are needed Alan.

What version of AIX are you running?
Are you really using telnet and not ssh? Telnet is unlikely to be
maintained.
I assume that you have ruled out network configuration changes?
Any upgrades to AIX lately?
Any change to the network load? New devices?

In the absence of any changes, then I would definitely be looking at
network problems. When you say you tried with just one user, do you mean
literally one device and the server only on the network? If there is a
faulty system somewhere, or malware, then that would still eat your network
Bandwidth.

Finally, I presume you have done the obvious and rebooted the server and
all the network gear? You’ll probably have to start from first principles
with no devices on the network and gradually add them in.