From: Tobias Frech [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 19 April 2001 10:14
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [JBoss-dev] Rule Engine Integration Available

Hi!

David Jencks wrote:
<snip>
> I've thought some about rules, but have no practical experience with them.
> I wonder if when you have a complicated set of interacting rules you tend
> to get unpredictable results?
>
> As I keep saying, more (specific) examples would be great.

I do not know if this fits, but one example of rules would be order
processing for a car manufacturer. We have a manucaturer here that has
thousands (!!!) of rules about which car options can be combined with
other options and which cannot be combined. These rules are quite
important for them, because they want to know if a car can be
manufactured BEFORE they try to do it :-) <offtopic> Also they could
find out which parts are not used any more or in only a very special
configuration. This can mean a great value to the manfacturer if they
can simplify their production palette. But finding out this kind of
stuff is really hard, believe me!</offtopic>
I can try to find out more about these rules if you like. But first
please tell me if this case may fit the rules engine which was
integrated.

Ciao,
Tobias