I was doing some thinking on an IIOP invoker a while back. I would have
spoken up before now, but I've got plenty to do with JAWS. (more below)

Ole Husgaard wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I probably won't find much time for helping
> out with this, though it is a most interesting
> project.
>
> marc fleury wrote:
>
>>ah yes then it is much more complicated since we need to have ANY client
>>calling our stuff.
>>

> Yes, a simple encapsulation of the method
> invocation over IIOP is quick, but does not
> ensure interoperability.

I agree

> For interoperability we need to export real
> CORBA objects, with no special encapsulation.
> And that is somewhat more complicated.
>
> The paper Gerald Brose: "Reflection in CORBA,
> Java and JacORB" might be helpful:
> http://jacorb.inf.fu-berlin.de/~brose/papers/jit98.ps.gz
>
> But if possible, we should try not to depend
> on any particular CORBA implementation.
>
> Maybe one day we will even generate stubs and
> skeletons for IIOP on-the-fly, like Rickard
> did with dynamic proxies for the JRMP transport.
> However I would wait with that, even if it means
> that an external IDL compiler would have to
> be run at deployment time.

Actually, I was looking at the Dynamic Skeleton Interface - we should be
able to use it to do without (compiled) skeletons on the server.

>>BTW I will change the invocation layer as part of JBOSS3.0 but will take
>>care of porting anything you have in there, let keep in touch.
>>

> One thing that would be nice: The ability to
> have several different transports for invoking
> the same container.

Multiple invokers for the container? I agree!