How's about this:

Object[] invokeXML( Document );
and
Object invokeXML( Element );

Note that MBeanServer's invoke() is not the same.

The document in the first example would look like this:
<jmx>
<create-mbean>
<object-name domain="...">
<property key="..." value="..."/>
</object-name>
<constructor>
<attribute type="..." value="..."/>
</constructor>
<attribute name="..." value="..."/>
</create-mbean>
<attribute name="..." value="..."/>
<attribute name="..."/>
<invoke operation="...">
<attribute type="..." value="..."/>
</invoke>
</jmx>

Each element in the document returns an object which is null
if nothing is returned or return type is void.

The second approach just works with parts like <create-mbean>,
<attribute>,<invoke> etc.

What to do you think ?

BTW is it necessary to return the return values in an XML form ?

Andy