From: Jim Archer
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 6/28/01 2:36 PM
Subject: Re: [JBoss-dev] Jboss site question

Jay, on what operating system? On Linux, running Tomcat (or any other
web
server) as root introduces security problems, yes. When an exploit is
discovered in Tomcat, the consequences are severe if Tomcat runs as
root.
If it runs as a no privilidge user such as nobody (or in our case, jBoss

user), the damage is quite contained (usually). This way, it can't
modify
itself to have new "features" added by hackers and it can't access
critical
system resources, like your password files.

This has nothing to do with Tomcat. Its standard practice not to allow a

server process to run as root. You can use IP chaines to let Tomcat, not

running as root, to listen on port 80.

Jim

--On Thursday, June 28, 2001 1:36 PM -0400 Jay Walters
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> In order to listen on port 80 with tomcat does one need to run Jboss
as
> root?  Does this present a security hazard - does Tomcat have any odd
> backdoors.  Is jetty any different?
>
> Cheers
> Jay

I shall be telling this with a sigh