I am not sure Scott is around, so I'll try to explain.

I check out "Branch_2_4" into a jboss24/ directory
I check out with no tags into jboss/

I change a file in jboss/, build, test and commit it
I copy the file in jboss24/, build, test and commit it

I "cvs log" (from jboss/ for example) on "bin/run.sh" (for example), and see
the latest 2.4 Tag is Rel_2_4_0_11.
>From "jboss24/" I then "cvs tag Rel_2_4_0_12" (recursively).

Right?