You might have noticed that I have commit a lot of changed recently.  I am
trying to eliminate the usage of Throwable.printStackTrace() but replacing
them with valid Log4j logging calls.  The point is to help debugging by
properly logging exceptions.  I have run into a few places where it was
unclear where the exception was coming from (originated or was printed).

Along the way I have taken the liberty to re-indent.  The philosophy here is
that if the indentation is wildly off (like it is in many places) it could
make it harder to track down a problem, and can lead to problems due to
folks misinterpreting the indentation.

I have also changed alot of // to /** */ for fields and methods, so those
comments can be understood javadoc.

Just to give you that safe, warm and fuzy feeling, I run the testsuite
several times before I commit any of these changes, just in case.

--jason