The recents questions posted by James Cook got me thinking.  Maybe we should ditch the current entity locking scheme in favor of using <select-for-update>.  It would greatly simplify the entity/cache locking mechanism, thus probably making it much more robust than it currently is.  Of course, we'd have to improve select-for-update so that it worked across a greater range of databases and keep the old entity/cache locking for databases that didn't.  Also, what about BMP?  Does the spec allow for the container to pass on synchronization responsibities to the Bean Developer?  I'll have to check.

Bill