This is mostly done, though I won't know for a while if it actually works.
The only think that it needs is a way to wait until the server has become
active (it is ready to serve) or timeout after x.

This should be fairly straight forward, just a tiny polling client.

 start timer
 attempt to connect, loop until connected
 lookup come mbean (not sure which is best at the moment)
 ask it if its done, if not sleep else exit

That would be really helpful when managing scripts which need to background
the vm, but eventually need to know that it is working as configured.

A side note, this could be handled by a seperate vm, which had the sole job
of managing other jboss instances on the same machine.  it would run a
stripped down jboss, with a spawenr bean, which would accept jmx, rmi, html,
telnet, whatever requests to start, stop, pool...

Write a simple client-side api & helper objects and you've got yourself a
set sweet tool to manage clusters of jboss instances.

throw a jython or dynamicjava (any bsf really) on top of that and you have a
simple way to control a huge group of such jboss nodes.

--jason