> This is interesting.

Thanks, I thought so. I wish app servers hadn't been written with the one
app server, one vm, one application, one owner paradigm, though I do
understand that it's probably most often used that way. It does make for
interesting challenges trying to put together a shared hosting environment.

> I'm forwarding it to the jboss dev list in case anyone there would like
> to comment....

I apologize for the continued cross posting but until it's decided which
side of the wall it may fall on, I think it is relevant to both groups.

> Greg, This is the sort of thing I had in mind for the web-jetty.xml -
> it's great to see it being taken up so soon. Did you not think that
> there would be issues with trying to set up a virtual host deployment
> from the web-jetty.xml ?

Oh, I was quite aware of the issue before I did it. However, I needed a
solution immediately and so I went ahead and did it just so I could be up
and running. I posted the email afterwards because I will need a proper long
term solution for it and wanted to bring the issue forward for help and
input.

> Could we clear this up ? I'd like to know whether this really is a
> solution, or not ?

The challenge is that somehow you have to register an owner of a virtual
host. Some authority has to authorize someone to use that virtual host. In a
typical shared hosting situation, it's either the administrator (ISP) or in
an automated situation, it's first come first serve.

In general first come first serve would be fine, the challenge is that the
quick solution I implemented does not persist who was first, and so there is
probably a possibility of someone else usurping it during a app server
restart or maybe some redeployment wierdness.

Anyway, I'll give it some more thought as well. I'm also trying to figure
out all the other things that will need to be done to section off
applications so that they are completely isolated from each other.

Joel Shellman
iKestrel Full Service Internet Solutions
[ Design | Flash | eCommerce | Backend | Database | Hosting | Marketing ]
http://www.ikestrel.com/