Tell me a little more:

OS, JVM, Version etc....

Were you hot-deploying - i.e. copying your ear into jboss/deploy ?

If so, and it was a large ear or a slow copy the file may not have been
complete when jboss saw it and began to unpack it.

To avoid this, copy the ear to somewhere on the same filesystem as the
deploy dir, then move it into that dir. A move/rename will be more
atomic than a copy. Or you could deploy via the JMX agen - I prefer this
because it is synchronous.

If this isn't it, perhaps you are deploying into a context that has
already been populated.

Or maybe resources in the ear were being hit by clients at the time of
redeployment and could not be released ?

Mail me your log and I'll take a look at it.

Jules