On Wed, 21 Nov 2001, Dain Sundstrom wrote:

> > java really pisses me off sometimes.  why can't you get file
> > perms from a
> > given platform?  all of this platform independence has really
> > dumbed down
> > the file access apis, too much in my oppinon.
>
> I think you can with 1.4

That would be nice.  I will have to look over the changes again.

> > <rant>
> > it appears that there is noway with the vanilla jdk to check
> > if a file is
> > executable... which is really *ucking stupid if you ask me...
> > but since you
> > didn't well I am telling you anyways.  Afterall who would
> > want to execute a
> > file from Java?  Whatever, where do they find the people that
> > design this
> > crap.
> > </rant>
>
> Doesn't ant have a chmod task.

It does, but it is dependent on executing the `chmod` program.  We use it to
setup the perms for scripts in the output directory.  Chmod in this case
won't help since once we tar (or zip) up the directory those bits will be
lost.

--jason