Hey Joseph,

You raise very interesting point, I've breezed through the papers you
reference and most of them are in either early stages of conception or
an infancy.

> IBM cJVM
> http://www.haifa.il.ibm.com/projects/systems/cjvm/cjvm_papers.html

This seem to be the most mature project but it for example doesn't mention
the details of "fast interconnection" between the nodes. I assume it is
n-(n-1) tcp model which is a nightmare in any case,  Anyway, you organize
your global heap, i.e put this many master objects on this node that many
on another one, proxies on all other , in order to share the
computational workload, but you end up remote calling across the wire in
object communication. Maybe they have some algorithms that give
the best trade off in distribution amount and communication minimization?

The clustering model IBM offers is no doubt a perspective project but I
think it fits more in science computation purposes rather than app server
model.

> TIGRIS
> http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~mdw/papers/tigris-lcr2k.pdf

Matt Welsh always has some interesting things to say. I'll read this one
in details.

The group communication approach , the one that jboss currently uses is
IMHO more suitable for app server since your are primarely concerned with
object replication rather than thread migration and such things.  If you
are interested in group communication, there is tons of interesting
research out there.  You may start with prof. Birman's work at Cornell,
prof. Babaoglu at University of Bologna, John Hopkins University and prof.
Yair Amir,  prof.Dolev from Hebrew University of Jerusalem , prof Moser at
University of California at Santa Barbara, Bela Ban's Javagroups etc etc.

Cheers,
Vladimir