yes and no

yes: I strongly support the microkernel view, the basic server is just the
JMX stuff (even stripped I think does anyone use the relationships out
there?) and the service libraries (possibly unified with MLet). And that
doesn't require anything else, certainly not an EJB container (or rather the
MBeans that when assembled provide EJB behavior).  The small servers, the
embedded servers, the edge servers need not ship everything.

no: the configuration server is a central server, he will not run inside my
DVD player (while the microkernel will) he will run the central
configuration server that David is talking about. Since the MMBeans in the
edge servers have pluggable persistence we can use EJB for the persistence
in case of clustering, and straight file in case of single server, the EJB
in the case buys us location. BTW the persistence is not necessarily in JDBC
it would be in file in the first pass, meaning the file persistence that we
have in there already just remote under the EJB front.

They are different servers and both configuration (at the same time) make
total sense to me, the central server is a configuration server (possibly
ha'ed itself) the edge ones are what you want, ejb clients if you want (rmi
stacks necessary, proxy clients from JBoss, couple of k) or straight
microkernel readers if you don't want to and they read their configurations
and adminitstration through other means.

marcf