I'll take a look at doing this tonight.

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Jencks" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, December 18, 2001 3:27 PM
Subject: [JBoss-dev] Can we do our own test timeouts?

> Currently testsuite tests timeout through the ant task killing the process
they are running in.  One effect is that no record of the test shows up in
the test report.  The ant guys say fixing this is pretty hard and probably
won't happen soon.  In any case I'm not sure what a test report should say
in this case.

> Marc and Scott want to move the counts for stress tests out of build.xml,
and I'd like to keep them with the timeout setting.

> So.. Is there any way to write a base test case or a test decorator that
will timeout itself and fail?

> My only ideas so far involve running the test in a threadgroup and on
timeout either calling the evil stop method or interrupting the threadgroup
and expecting the tests to watch for interrupted(). (The tests that are
likely to timeout create lots of their own threads, so I think a threadgroup
may be needed to collect all of them). Since I'm not a threading expert I
wonder if either of these is likely to work or if there is an easier way.