I'm slightly of topic, anyway

IMHO, Strings are dead slow when comparing to ints.
This is not because of string math (i.e. comparison, etc.)
but because of _new_ and _new_ Strings which takes
part in many methods with Strings involved
(and almost _every_ String finishes in GC)

So I look at jdk1.4 as a (someway) solver with its
nio.* and regex.* stuff
LT