On 2002.02.21 17:38:35 -0500 Bill Burke wrote:
> Hey, thanks for replying....Comments are in-lined.
likewise

I figured as much...

> > 2. If the db call is hanging, the tx will be marked for rollback,
> > but since
> > the db call is waiting and waiting, nothing will ever be
> > released.  I would
> > expect that calling rollback on the tx would have essentially no
> effect,
> > since the "active" thread is waiting for IO.  I'm no threading expert,
> but
> > I can't find any way of communicating with the hung thread to force it
> > return.
> >

> You have a point.  Calling rollback from a different thread would just
> hang
> the TimeOut thread as well.  Is that what you're saying?
>
> I'm pretty sure that in JDK 1.3.x, there is no way of interrupting a
> thread
> waiting for IO.  I've tried it before without success.  Can somebody back
> me
> up on that statement?

"The Java Programming Language, 3rd ed." says that pretty explicitly, so I
think even if you found a way that worked sometimes it would be almost
certain to not work other times.

> Hmmmm so the real solution is release the EntityBean locks.  How can I do
> this generically though?

Hmmm also, maybe we have to put all the entities back into the
GlobalTxEntityMap with a flag saying if they are dirty so it can be used
both for the read-only and for killing all the locks in this tx timeout
case.  Or maybe we need 2 maps here...???

david jencks