Am Don, 2002-02-28 um 14.43 schrieb David Jencks:
> I haven't had any problems using xsl without xsd, and am planning to rework
> the jboss deployment process based on extensive use of xsl transformations,
> so in particular it would be very easy (supply an xsl script) to deploy
> stuff using your own in -house dd dtd or ???.

the problem, or more exactly the wall, here is that dtd is not xml, it
is a sgml construct. but if - and think about - if the  contents
(semantics) documented in an dtd _are_ xml: then you are able to apply
xslt on your xsd. you provide a set of generic xsd's as a fundamental
vocabular and if you would use any concrete configuration you apply a
xslt on the xsd for the specific case [all cases are specific :)] so you
generate a version-like type of metadata, wellformed and valid xml
agaist another xml - the xsd. and your are able to generate via xslt a
standard config out of the definition, the metadata as xsd,  of the
generic config: this means the rawdata are selfcontained because their
definition is in no way other then themself! one may translate rawdata
in metadata and vice versa.

you are able to use xpath, xquery, xpointer and all the others on a meta
level.

as a matter of course, you are able to generate your metadata java
classes out of your 'dtd' via xslt. it is nice, isn't it?

... and last but not least your metadata are validated

not to talk about the much better, and so far more javaish, typing and
sematic abilities in xsd.

fyi:

DTD -> XSD converter
http://puvogel.informatik.med.uni-giessen.de/dtd2xs/

quick XSD:

http://www.xfront.com/xml-schema.html

quick XSL:

http://www.xfront.com/xsl.html

> It looks to me as if xsd <--> dtd for schemas
>
> and xml <--> xml for documents

in using xsd there is no difference between schemas and documents,
schemas are documents and documents could be schemas. it is a metter of
the context.

> What am I missing about xsd?

that xml formulates languages, for example xsd, but xml does not
formulate dtd on which it rely.

cu
bax