On 2002.03.03 14:39:50 -0500 Dain Sundstrom wrote:
> I have been looking at using DatabaseMetaData extensively in the code
> for determining what sql to generate.  Is DatabaseMetaData safe to use?
> I do remember way back some vendors meta data lied.

It's not supposed to :-)

I don't have much personal experience. I think you will have to try and
see.  There may be some other problems such as DatabaseMetaData makes
unwarranted assumptions about whether it has covered all possibilities, so
no anwser to their question is correct.  (For instance, Firebird does all
ddl in transactions, but only at the end of the transaction.  So new tables
are not visible in the transaction that created them.  I ran into trouble
once with this not fitting into sun's preconceptions about what is
possible)

david jencks