Cool!  I hope nobody took offense to any of my comments!  I was hoping to
generate a discussion exactly like this!  More comments follow...

> While using DNS may well be a naive, I think it is more naive to
> think that user space code running on a general purpose computer is
> a good solution if you are concerned about load and/or failover.
>
> If you really want performance and reliability, then firmware is the
> solution for you and the 25K will do a little to help my Cisco shares :-)

FYI, I've had 2 different companies ask for a open-source solution for this
that had tight budgets.  I'd be really curious to compare a load-balancer
running on a general purpose computer with a cisco switch.  Anybody ever
done this comparison?

> However, I do think we need a reasonable solution that works as a
> reasonable introduction to loadbalancing and failover.
>

>   * If sticky sessions are used, or all new connections look for
>     "jsessionid=" in the first packet of the request and the
> response.   If
>     found, associate the ID with the current connecton allocation.

Is the jsessionid available through the URL in HTTPS requests?

> How does that sound?   It should at least be a start for load
> balancing and failover.
>
> I should have something working like this within a day or a month
> (Now there
> is a broad estimate for you).   I'm happy to do this myself, but
> would also
> appreciate a keen buddy on this once the skeleton is in place.

I'll be your buddy ;). Hey, Let's talk about it at JBossOne?  In the
meantime, this might be a good source for requirements:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/pcat/11150.htm

Regards,

Bill