Christoph,

 From a cursory inspection of the Axis code, it should work as it is (ie
by creating and populating a directory on the fly). The underlying Jetty
instance certainly supports deployment of directories, as well as
deployment of wars etc. So long as the AbstractWebContainer method
performDeploy is passed the directory as the second argument (as it
would seem to be), Jetty should be able to deploy it.

BTW: The "unpackWars" flag is usually set to true because if the war
contains JSPs then they work best when extracted (this flag would have
no effect if it is a directory to be deployed).

Is your question motivated by having tried a deployment and it didn't
work? If so, a trace would be helpful.

Jan